Monday, August 22, 2016

"Sweet Dreams" (Tommy McLain) #15 8/20/1966

I remember a number of different country takes of this song. The original was by its writer, Don Gibson, and many others covered it from Faron Young to Emmylou Harris. Reba McEntire would do it a-capella in concert. No instruments, either. I saw Reba perform this twice. You could tell she listened to a whole lot of Patsy Cline, who had the most well known version though hers wasn't released until after she died in a 1963 small plane crash. Admittedly, I wasn't familiar with this swamp rock version by one-hit wonder Louisiana native Tommy McLain. Check out the spacey vibraphone.

Tommy McLain - Sweet Dreams

1 comment:

Tal Hartsfeld said...

This version got lots of airplay in the summer of 1966, so I myself was practically UNable to miss it.
I'm surprised about you're not being familiar with it. I even ran across an original 45-RPM copy of this version in a used record store.