Saturday, August 27, 2016

"See You In September" #3 8/27/1966

An end-of-summer song done originally in 1959 by a Pittsburgh vocal group called the Tempos. Bobby Vinton was in a forerunner of that outfit. It was covered numerous times, but the hit version featured today was by the Happenings. They sounded somewhat like the Tokens ("The Lion Sleeps Tonight"), who didn't mind since they owned the Happenings' record label. The Four Seasons' producer Bob Crewe was also behind the controls here. I like this one!

Happenings - SeeYou In September

2 comments:

Shady Del Knight said...

Hi, Larry!

In my vinyl collection I had both the Tempos' and the Happenings' versions of "See You in September." I preferred the Happenings' remake and consider it the best of their singles.

I just discovered your blog, love the concept and have decided to follow you. It's exciting to learn that you were an oldies DJ in the 1990s. I became acquainted with teen singing idol Jimmy Clanton in the early and mid 70s when he hosted an oldies radio program on WHEX in Columbia, Pennsylvania.

I am a boomer with an 8+ year old blog devoted to music and memories spanning seven decades. Looking over your recent posts I noticed that you and I ran "This Door Swings" the same week:

http://shadydell.blogspot.com/2016/08/flashback-friday-50-years-ago-today.html

I look forward to your next 50 year flashback and cordially invite you to join the fun over at my blog Shady Dell Music & Memories.

Thanks, Larry!

brocave said...

Thanks for the kind words! I try to update this blog daily. Always happy to hear from others keeping this great music alive! Columbia, PA? Go Hershey Bears!